Saturday, October 4, 2008

Everyone Needs a Fresh Start...

Where does one begin?

I made a bold move and left the comforts of Southern California, a place I called home my whole life, and headed North on July 1, 2007 to Walla Walla, Washington.

It's been a year now and there is no turning back. They say once you sell your over-priced home in California you can never go back. With a glut of urban sprawl, tract housing, and over-priced McMansions on the market, maybe that's no longer true.

I did spend "the transition year" constantly in transit - college launch for son, holidays, birthdays, parties, daughter's wedding, and of course, a 2-week January respite on Balboa Island.

The first year in a new climate affected me in ways I did not anticipate. I mean, plants are even different; and you really need to know the difference between evergreen and deciduous. I am fortunate to have great neighbors that guide me through the new process of "what one does" in their yard. Maybe I'll babble on later about my garden adventures...

I wonder how many other California transplants are here? If someone asks you where you are from you have to whisper your response. Or at least I do. But... I'm finding more and more "question askers" respond that they too are from CA. Now that is a comfort. I don't really know why. Maybe it is because we are labeled as a state of "fruits and nuts." Whatever. I don't fit either category (maybe a bit of a nut), but for now I'll continue to be a whisperer...

2 comments:

Kate said...

Good to hear that there are other Southern Californians there if I get my dream job in Walla Walla.

sue said...

Kate:
Any word on the dream job?