Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day 2009

It is Earth Day and like all of us, I have been examining my business practices and am trying to be more "green." Yes, I am trying to do my part by thinking locally, having more insulation, installing a heat pump, using environmentally friendly products, growing veggies, and recycling. But I've realized that I am doing something more. My purchasing habits have been environmentally responsible because I am reusing and recycling furniture, accessories, and building materials.

The Haven of Dayton was built in 1870 and I used ebay, Craigslist, estate sales, antique stores, and thrift shops to outfit the home in vintage style.

At The Haven in Walla Walla, I just completed a new bathroom and searched out interesting vintage pieces to make the new addition unique. I brought in an old built-in hutch taken from a building in Seattle, an old glass door and hardware from a salvage yard, a Craigslist Empire Style dresser for a sink cabinet, and various ebay light fixtures.

The result is a win-win for all involved. I offer environmentally friendly vacation properties that provide "an experience" that guests may not have at other lodging facilities.

In honor of Earth Day, there are many ways to do our part to be "more green" and the first step we can all make today is to look at how we live and how it affects our planet.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I love your thought "...the first step we can all make today is to look at how we live and how it affects our planet."

sue said...

Kate: Thank you for your comment. The Sustainability Center in Walla Walla is a wonderful non-profit in town. Through their encouragement Walla Walla is moving toward sustainable practices. There is also a city-wide event planned for Earth Day 2010.