Saturday, April 10, 2010

If You Have A Door Like This, Please Don't Throw It In The City Dump




Why is it that Walla Walla doesn't have a method for reusing highly sought after building materials. I need a front door like the one pictured and it disturbs me that there are probably a bunch of them, along with other vintage treasures in the city dump. Having a resale store for building materials and architectural salvage run by a non-profit is a win-win situation for Walla Walla.

First of all, it makes sense. Our community is supportive of sustainability and is promoting greener practices. We need to lessen the amount of waste and recycle, especially when there is a secondary market for the highly sought after usable products.

Secondly, if Walla Walla had a non-profit willing to run a reuse center, as other communities have, contractors and homeowners could donate these items. The benefit of tax write-offs is substantial.

Thirdly, a non-profit reuse center could provide employment and job training. Retired tradesmen could be enlisted to mentor and offer their talents in such ways as appliance repair, electrical rewiring, woodworking and more. This project would be perfect for The Sustainability Center if supplied with some sort of grant for start-up costs.

And finally, there are people like me in Southeast Washington that treasure the quality and uniqueness of vintage architectural salvage and would welcome a local source.

Unfortunately, I passed up this beautiful door from The Restore in Ballard because I was unsure of the size; and my SUV could only hold two interior doors and several ceiling fixtures. By the time I got back to Walla Walla and rethought the idea of trekking back to Seattle, the door was gone. I'm still looking for my solid mahogany period door to grace the entry to The Haven. Both of my current exterior doors are cheap, cheesy, non-wood products purchased from a local big box supplier before my time. If anyone knows of a door available, stop the truck headed to the dump, and send them my way.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey! I think walla walla DOES have a restore now, out by the airport. Did you know that already???

Haven't been yet, but it looks pretty sweet. I can't find their website though -Was gonna blog about them.

You might like what we do - check us out...www.waterdropworkshop.com :)

Unknown said...

Found it

http://www.sustainablelivingcenter.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70:builders-resupply-store&catid=56&Itemid=117

sue said...

Erin- Since I wrote this blog entry the Sustainable Living Center opened a Builder's ReSupply in Walla Walla and I am now a volunteer! It is exciting to finally have a resource like this and it is always a treasure hunt when you visit.
My daughter, Jenna Bicknell is the Ex.Dir. of the Sustainable Living Center and would be happy to give you more information. You can find her contact info on their website.
I love what you do and have seen your beautiful items on Etsy!