Monday, February 28, 2011

More To Winter Than Just Being Cold

Winter is more than just about the weather, this time of year is something more. When the cold keeps us indoors for extended lengths of time, we are able to spend more time inside our head with thoughts that are only our own.

We try to fight it by purposeless busyness and the obsession of being productive. But perhaps we should give in to the stillness. Shouldn't we really embrace the gift of quiet that we are given. The winter season, more than the others, forces me into a state of pondering life, wondering about my purpose and seeking out God's plan for my future.

The weekend started out on Friday with a trip to Dayton to watch my granddaughter, back to Walla Walla, then off to Waitsburg in the evening for my daughter's birthday celebration. On Saturday, I felt the desire to hunker down, and I spent the rest of the weekend indoors and alone. The following 48 hours were a roller coaster of emotion about life and purpose. Responsibilities and tasks laying in wait were put on hold while I looked through my window at a cold winter day. I felt personally as frozen as what I saw – purposeless and powerless.

What I most want to share is that this emotional upheaval lead to prayer and a personal journey I was so blessed to take. The most important lesson I learned is that sometimes it takes stillness that winter provides to give us the opportunity to take the time to explore who we are and were we're being led.


No comments: